Saturday, January 14, 2017

Calorie Counting No Longer a Nightmare

My Weight Loss-Data Tracker
My Fitness Pal 

Over the past few years, several more pounds than I care to admit have crept up on me. Just after Christmas, I began hemming and hawing about whether or not to go back on Weight Watchers (I had lost a lot of weight on that plan years ago), to try Nutrisystem (I did years ago and didn't lose), or maybe some other weight loss system. But none of them appealed to me.

I'm sure I'm not alone. 

A friend of mine recently began documenting her weight loss journey publicly on her blog and she mentioned "mindful eating" and calorie counting. I don't know about you, but calorie counting has always been a nightmare for me. Looking up the food, trying to find the food in the book in the first place, writing down the calories ... very time consuming and an absolute pain! Ugh! Then, my friend mentioned a calorie counter. Within a second--literally--she had looked up her food and viola! There were the calories. Then, she saved it in her tracker. Wow!

Ding, ding, ding! The bells went off!

Inspired, I searched the Google Play store and found a gem! It's a calorie counter and fitness data tracker all in one and I just had to share! It's called My Fitness Pal! Simple title, right? As soon as I downloaded it, I started tracking right away. First, I answered a few questions and then it automatically created a weight loss plan, personalized just for me. There's also a place to log in not only your meals, but your water intake and exercise, too. Yes! 

Here's a snapshot of mine this morning: 



As you can see, it shows the amount of calories I can eat per day and my daily target. I was able to search for the food and there it was! Not shown above is the water intake and the exercise log. 

Wow! This has really given me the shot in the arm I need! With my efforts over the past week, I've already lost 3 lbs. Even though I have a way to go, I've set a do-able weight loss goal of ten pounds at a time. If I look at the whole amount I have to lose, it will be much more daunting. But this way is much, much easier.

I look forward to being a skinny mini again sometime soon! I'll be sharing my weight loss finds on my blog if you'd like to join me! If my time with Weight Watchers didn't teach me anything else, it's that it's so much better to lose weight with others. Not for accountability, but for encouragement.


No comments:

Post a Comment