Saturday, August 6, 2016

Write Now! Introduction

Write Now!

How to write a book in your spare time, even if you're busy! 

I. Introduction:

After writing my first book, I was hooked. I had definitely been bitten by the writing bug. I loved letting my imagination venture to other worlds, and the thrill of publishing and seeing my work in print was like no other feeling in the world. However, I didn’t want to take as long to write my next book as I had the first. So, I devised a writing plan to cut down the length of time to write a novel, which I will share with you now.

First, I will tell you my writing plan. As you read about my process, think about how much spare time you have each week. Even if you’re busy, you would be surprised of the amount of spare time you have without taking time away from your responsibilities and family. When I took a good look at my own life and responsibilities, I was surprised at the amount of time that I had and that I could dedicate to writing without feeling guilty. I will show you how.

Next, I will guide you through the process of devising your own writing plan; one that you can live with and stick to … no matter how busy you are. At first, the task of writing a book seems daunting; however, I will show you how to break it down into digestible bites that you can write in increments and sections. Digestible bites are the key.

Then, I will take you through the structure of how to write your book and the necessary story elements needed to make your book great. These elements are the same in writing novels and short stories. The elements are the same for both, but are just on a smaller scale for writing short fiction.

It’s one thing to write a book, but you want your book to be great, right? Including and understanding the elements of fiction will help you to do just that … make your book great and one that you will be proud to have written.

Also, remember that learning to write novels is a process. But understanding the process and knowing what must be included in your book to make it great is the first step. Just like anything else, the more you write, the better you become. Just keep at it and one day you will be a bestselling author. One bestselling author told me that you have to stick with it and there is a turning point. She was right.

But take the time to hone your craft in the process. Writing is a skill that must be developed. No one wakes up being the next Steven King, Stephanie Meyer, J.K. Rowling, or Danielle Steel. All 
of these writers had to hone their craft, as well.

Reading this book is a great start, but consider taking a writing course, too. You don’t need a writing degree from Stanford University to make it big. Of course, earning a writing degree is ideal, but you can develop your skills wonderfully through good online writing programs, such as Writing for Children and Teens through The Institute of Children’s Literature. They also have programs for writing for adults, too. But whether you plan to write for children or adults, the skills you need to develop and the story elements are still the same.

Last, I will discuss the process of publishing your work, which is your ultimate goal, right? Of course, we all write for the love of it, as you should, but we all would love to see our work in print, too. The primary goal of this book is to help you create a writing plan and set goals for yourself, but I will also point you in the right direction for publishing, too. In this book, I will discuss the basics of publishing and focus on what we all love … writing!

Please note that in this book, I will be discussing writing novels, although I may mention writing nonfiction books. Although writing nonfiction books is an entirely different process, this book is dedicated to writing fictional books. However, many of the strategies that I mention here can easily be adapted to writing nonfiction books, as well.

Well, that said, let’s get started! If you have any questions or comments, I’d love to hear from you! You can contact me at theresaoliverauthor@gmail.com and I will respond within twenty-four hours. Writing is a process, but one that you can master. Enjoy the journey!
***

Join me tomorrow for the next installment, when I talk about tracking your progress while you are writing. See you then! 

No comments:

Post a Comment