Thursday, June 13, 2013

Excerpt of "Thou Shalt Not Kill" By: Theresa Oliver

Excerpt of 
Thou Shalt Not Kill
Thou Shalt Not Kill Series
By: Theresa Oliver

“Sissy!” Timmy said, shaking me with his little hands. “Sissy, wake up!”

I opened my eyes and bright sunlight assaulted my vision. I rubbed my eyes, trying to focus.
“Sissy! Wake up!” Timmy yelled in my ear, shaking me violently.

“Whoa, there Munchkin! I’m awake. Just give me a minute,” I said, trying to wake up. Then, the events of the day before rushed into my mind. I let out a deep breath and shook my head, determined not to let these guys get to me. “What’s wrong, Timmy?”

“Where are we?” he asked, looking around the room with wide eyes. I realized that we had carried him up to the room and he had no idea where we were.

“We’re still at Aiden’s ranch,” I said, stroking a stray piece of blonde hair away from his face. I struggled to get up, but my whole body ached. I felt like lying back down and sleeping until the war was over, but I knew I couldn’t do that. I had Timmy to protect, after all, and our way of life. Whether we liked it or not, the fate of our nation rested within our hands. “We’re just upstairs in our new bedroom, Munchkin.” I looked around and the fire was still smoldering in the fireplace. I made a mental note to make sure that the fire was out before going to sleep in the future, or making a screen to go over it so it wouldn’t start a fire. That’s all I needed. “Do you like it?” I asked him, referring to the room.

“Sure!” he said then jumped off the bed and pointed at the fireplace. “I really like that! What is it?”

“That’s a fireplace and you have to promise me never touch it. It can hurt you, understand?” I asked. My heart had jumped into my throat when he rushed to the fireplace so quickly.

“Uh, huh,” Timmy replied, wide-eyed. “Sissy, where’s Mamma?”

“She’s downstairs in our old bedroom,” I said. “She needs to stay on the first floor so I gave her our room. Okay, Munchkin?” Timmy nodded his approval, then I asked, “Do you want to see her?”

Timmy nodded excitedly, then took my hand, pulling me toward the door. “Come on! Get up, sissy!”

“Okay,” I said, trying the pull myself up. “Just give me a minute.”

Suddenly, the bedroom door opened as Timmy tried desperately to pull me up. “Well, well, well,” Aiden said, opening the door without knocking. “If it isn’t Sleeping Beauty.”

“Get out!” I said, still trying to get up, but my head was pounding. “Don’t you ever knock?”

“Rarely,” he replied honestly.

“You are so annoying!” I said while Timmy was still pulling on me.

“So I’ve been told,” Aiden answered, then asked Timmy, “You want some help?”

“No! Oh no you don’t!”  I yelled, picking up a pillow as Aiden crossed the room to me.

“What?” he asked, feigning innocence, then he turned to Timmy, “Ready?” he asked, crouching into a mock fighting stance, ready to pounce.

Great. No fair! He was recruiting Timmy as an accomplice. “Don’t you even think about it!” I warned, kneeling on the bed, holding up a pillow as Timmy laughed!

“Ready? One …”

“Don’t you dare …”

 “Two …”

“I’m warning you …”

“Three!” Aiden laughed as he and Timmy both rushed me. I playfully hit him with the pillow while being mindful not to hurt Timmy. Timmy jumped on me first, while Aiden grabbed my feet and pulled me to the edge of the bed. I struggled against him, flailing my arms and legs, but nothing seemed to faze him. Before I knew it, he picked me up like I was a rag doll and threw me over his shoulder.

“Put me down!” I yelled, beating on his back playfully, but nothing bothered him.

“Ready?” he asked Timmy, extending a hand to him while holding me with the other. Timmy laughed and took his hand.

“Aiden! Don’t you dare!” I yelled, as he carried me out of the room and down three flights of stairs while holding Timmy’s hand. I stopped struggling once we were on the stairs. I didn’t want Timmy to get hurt. “I can’t believe you did this!” I yelled, laughing when we reached the bottom of the stairs, but he didn’t stop there. Everyone in the living room cleared the way, laughing, as Timmy jumped up and down happily beside him. Aiden carried me into the kitchen.

“Move,” he told Adam, who was sitting on a kitchen chair.

“What are you? A cave man?” Adam asked, incredulous, as he rose from the chair, shaking his head.

“Ugh,” Aiden replied, as he plopped me down hard on the chair. 

***
pp. 277-280, Thou Shalt Not Kill, by: Theresa Oliver. Join us online on Facebook, 6-8 p.m. EST, Fri., June 21, 2013, for the release of my latest book Thou Shalt Not Kill, the first in my Thou Shalt Not Kill Series! Lots of fun, contests, prizes and giveaways! See you there! 



No comments:

Post a Comment