Sunday, May 13, 2012



Deliver Us From Evil


By: Theresa Oliver


“Where have you been, Cathy?” Roy asked. Rage boiled under the surface as he glared at me with cold, dead eyes.

“At work,” I answered nervously, carrying a bag of groceries into the house, then gingerly shut the door of our mobile home with a sigh. So, it was going to be one of those nights, I thought to myself.

Suddenly, Roy slammed his beer bottle down hard on the wooden coffee table so hard the trailer shook. I jumped, taking a step back. “I called and you weren’t there,” he replied angrily, watching me with his brown eyes, reflecting the fire burning brightly within the fireplace.

“After I left work, I went to the store,” I said, indicating the bag of groceries in my arms. I collected my courage, determined not to let fear show within my eyes. “I don’t have time for this. I’m cooking dinner.” I turned toward the kitchen, but in a flash, he was standing before me, planting his feet firmly. Then he leaned toward me, looking up and down my body as the stench of stale beer wafted to my nostrils. “You’ve been drinking,” I replied, squaring my shoulders, determined not to let him see the fear that filled my sky blue eyes. “Get out of my way.”

“Oh, I think dinner can wait,” he replied, lifting a lock of my long blonde hair to his face, inhaling deeply.

“Get away from me, Roy,” I said, brushing past him. “We’re not doing this anymore.”

But as I passed, he caught my arm, holding it much more tightly than necessary.

“Let go, Roy! You’re hurting me!” I yelled into his face, pushing hard onto his chest, but his chest was solid rock, not giving an inch. That was one of the things that attracted me to him when I first met him in high school. He was great to me then, always the gentleman, sexy, with a great body.  Roy didn’t start showing his true side until about a year after we were married. He started drinking heavily, then soon began pushing me around. And on more than one occasion, he came home late reeking of lady’s perfume.

Suddenly, Roy’s eyes narrowed. “I asked you a question.”

“I don’t know what the hell you’re talking about,” I replied, trying to brush past him again, but he pushed hard on my shoulders, sending me staggering backward.

“You know very well what I’m talking about!” Roy said, his eyes evil. Then he grabbed me hard by the throat and pushed me against the wall. “Where the hell have you been?”

“I told you!” I said as tears slowly trickled down my cheeks. “I went to the store when I got off work at the diner!”

“You liar!” Roy yelled into my face, gritting his teeth as his eyes flared. “Who were you with?”  Then he slammed my head hard against the dark wood paneled wall, shaking the whole trailer.

“Get off me!” I yelled into his face, barely squeaking out the words, trying to pull his strong hands away from my throat. “I’m not seeing anyone, you moron!”

“Moron? Moron?” he yelled as his face contorted with rage, animalistic. “You bitch!” Roy yelled into my face, then threw me hard onto the floor. He watched as I lay shaking upon the floor and replied with a smirk, “Now who’s the moron?” Then he took a step toward me as I lay writhing upon the floor.

“No, Roy!” I yelled, curling into a ball as he took off his belt, then brought it down hard across my shoulders, cutting into my flesh over and again.

In a flash, he was standing over me, kicking my stomach with his heavy work boot as I thought, God, someone, help me!

But it wasn’t God who came to my rescue.

Later that night, after Roy passed out on the couch, I peeled myself up from the floor with every inch of my body aching and shaking. I made it to the bedroom, pulled myself up to lock the door, and fell into the bed, pulling the covers around my face and neck. I tried to close my eyes, but images of Roy and what he’d done clouded my mind. Why didn’t you come for me? Why didn’t you help me? I asked God as tears slowly streaked down my face, falling onto the white pillowcase beside me. Then I silently prayed the Our Father, pausing at the phrase “Deliver us from evil.”

Yeah, I thought. Not tonight.

Then sleep finally found me, safe under the covers, but I made a vow that Roy would never do this to me again. I needed strength, and I found comfort in knowing I would find it, one way or another.

                                                                                                 ***

“Cathy …” a familiar voice yelled through pounding blasts upon the bedroom door as the faint streams of pale yellow sunlight filled the room. “Cathy, are you in there?”

It was my friend, Crystal. She was crazy, funny, and had been my best friend since grade school. And her long dark hair that flowed past her shoulders and pale white skin with deep green eyes added to her mystique. No one dared to mess with her.

“She’s a witch!” one guy told everyone after their first date together. Later, Crystal told me that he had gotten fresh with her, and she decked him.

Just sour grapes, I thought to myself, but I always knew there was something different about her. That was one of the things I liked about Crystal. She was different.

Crystal called herself a psychic, using crystals and Tarot cards to give readings to help her tell the fortunes of people, but she could also read people. She knew what kind of person someone was and what they were up to within a few minutes of their first meeting. In fact, she tried to warn me about Roy years ago, but, being in love, I brushed it off.

“Cathy! Don’t you dare try to shut me out!” Crystal yelled through the door. “I know you’re in there! And if you don’t answer this door, I’m busting it down!”

“Crystal,” I choked out. Every bone and muscle in my body ached.

“Cathy?” My voice must have sounded off, because she practically screamed it through the door. “Don’t worry about Roy! He’s gone to work or wherever he goes, now open this door!”  

“Crystal, I’m coming …” I croaked, trying to sit up, but my sides ached. I wondered if he had broken some of my ribs this time.

“Cathy, stay right there,” Crystal replied, panicked. “I’m coming in.”

“Crystal, don’t break down the door. I’m coming,” I replied, trying to rise from the bed, but fell back onto it just as quickly.

A moment later, the door opened slowly with a long creak. When I looked over, Crystal’s hand was raised and pointed at the door.

“What the hell?” I asked, noticing she hadn’t even touched the door.

“A little trick I learned,” Crystal replied with a smirk, then saw my bruised face. “That son of a bitch! Did he do this to you?”

Immediately, I turned away, trying to hide my face.  

Crystal grabbed my chin firmly in her hand and turned it from side to side. “That’s it! He’s going down!”

“Crystal, you can’t kill him! I’ll call the police …”

“Yeah, right!”  Crystal said, sitting down hard onto the edge of the bed, jostling me.

“Ooowwww,” I said, pulling my face out of her hand. “What the hell?”

“Yeah, what the hell is right!” she replied, leaning back against the foot of my bed, taking a closer look at my face. “Cathy, you won’t call the police! You’ve had so many opportunities to call and you never do!” Crystal thought for a moment, then got up and grabbed a suitcase from the closet and threw it onto the floor, then pulled clothes from the closet and threw them into the black suitcase laying on the floor at super human speed.

“Crystal, no!” I yelled, forcing myself off the bed. “I can’t leave him! He’ll track me down and kill me next time!”

Crystal wheeled on me abruptly. “Listen to yourself, Cathy! But you know what? You’re right! That son of a bitch will kill you next time!” She turned to throw another outfit into the black suitcase laying on the floor, then another one onto the bed. “Here! Get dressed. You’re coming with me.”

“Crystal, he’ll kill you!” I said, panicked, stumbling out of bed. “I can’t go with you!”

Crystal stepped back to look directly into my eyes. Her bright green eyes flared. “Just answer me something, Cathy! Do you want to spend the rest of your life with this guy? Because believe me, it’ll be a short life.”

“I have no other choice …” I said, gingerly pulling my jeans over my curved legs and hips. Even that slight movement hurt.

Crystal suddenly grabbed my hands and looked directly into my eyes. “Yes, you have a choice. You always have a choice.”

My eyebrows pulled together, puzzled. “What are you saying?”

Suddenly, Crystal threw a shirt at me. “Here, put this on! You’re coming with me.”

I grabbed her arm as she passed, then asked, “What are you planning, Crystal?”

“Look, it’s better if you don’t know …”

“Crystal,” I replied, weakly stopping her with just a hand on her arm. “What are you planning on doing?”

“Not me, you.” And I knew from the look in her eyes she was dead serious.

“Crystal, no!” I said, trying to stop her long enough to get her attention. “I’m not strong enough!”

“Look!” Crystal began, “Do you want to be rid of this guy?”

Slowly, I closed my eyes and nodded my head. Yes, I wanted to be rid of him.

“No matter the price?” Crystal asked, looking into my eyes.

“What are you talking about?” I demanded as I slowly slipped into my sandals lying nearby.

Crystal took a step closer. “Oh, I think you do, Cathy.” Then she thought for a moment, obviously wondering how much to tell me. Then she added, “Did you say a prayer last night?

“What does that have to do with anything?” I asked, fearing where this was leading.

“Just answer the question, Cathy!” Crystal screamed, taking my hands into hers as she looked into my eyes. “Did you say a prayer, asking for help last night? For deliverance from evil?”

“How did you know …” I staggered back, shocked.

“That’s what I thought,” Crystal replied, then added. “Cathy, did He deliver you from evil?”

I took a deep breath, feeling it fill my lungs. “No.”

“That’s what I thought,” Crystal said with a smirk. “You know, if I were you, I would want that son of a bitch out of my life no matter what. Do you?”

I plopped down onto a nearby chair, defeated. “How did you get so strong, Crystal? I just wish I was a third as strong as you.”

Crystal grinned, incredulous, then grabbed my suitcase off the floor and propped it against the wall. “You are, Cathy. You just need a little help getting there.”

I slowly walked over to her, my eyebrows pulling together. “What kind of help, Crystal?”

“Well, you asked God for help, and he didn’t come, so why not ask Satan?” Crystal asked, raising an eyebrow over her flaring green eyes.

“Crystal, don’t say that …”

“Why not?” she asked, looking into my eyes. “If it were me, I would want him out at all costs. Including asking for the devil’s help.”

“No, it’s sacrilegious, Crystal!” I wheeled on her, not wanting to hear any of it. “How could you even say it?”

Crystal shrugged. “It’s up to you.”

“Okay, okay, what do I do?” I asked, playing along, not realizing the severity of what I was about to do.

“Say a prayer to him, to Satan, asking for his help,” Crystal said, her green eyes flaring.

I laughed without humor. “You’re serious?”

“Very, but it’s up to you,” Crystal said, then added, “free will and all.”

“Of course,” I laughed not taking her seriously, but something told me that she was. “Okay, Satan, please help me.”

A smirk appeared on Crystal’s face as she waited.

Immediately, I felt something leave my soul, a power, a presence that I never knew I had as my heart sank, turning to ice. “What did you do to me?”

“I didn’t do anything,” Crystal corrected. “You did, but you’re going to be able to take care of that creep now.”

And I knew she was right.  

“But how?” I asked, incredulous. “I feel weaker, not stronger.”

“No, you feel different,” Crystal corrected, then added, picking up the suitcase, “but soon, you’ll feel stronger. And right now, you’re coming with me.”

I nodded, still confused, but followed Crystal as she picked up my suitcase and headed out the door, and I vowed never to come back again. Crystal helped me out to her old Impala and into the passenger seat, then popped the trunk and plopped my suitcase inside.

I slid into the passenger seat and Crystal was there in a flash, closing my door. I leaned back against the head rest and closed my eyes. How could I have let this happen? How could it have come down to this? But I didn’t have control. Roy had taken that away from me long ago.

“You ready?” Crystal asked, clicking the seatbelt over her chest.

“Ready,” I nodded, closing my eyes, but I had no idea what was coming or what I was ready for. But Crystal was right. Something had to be done about Roy.

She turned the key and the engine roared to life, reflecting the storm that was brewing inside my soul. As I watched the scenery passing by, I knew my life had forever changed and would never be the same.

I didn’t really pay attention to where Crystal was taking me. At the moment, I didn’t care. But when the car pulled abruptly to a stop, I looked around and we were in the safety of the woods.

“Where are we?” I asked, looking over at Crystal.

One corner of her lips curled into a smile. “You’ll see.”

“Crystal,” I said, catching her arm. “You know I love you like a sister and I trust you, but what are you into?”

“Oh, I think you know,” Crystal said with a smile. “You’ve known for a long time.”

“Why are you doing this?” I asked, searching her eyes.

Crystal took a breath and looked out the car window, then turned to face me. “Cathy, you’re like a sister to me, too. And sisters protect each other.”

I nodded, understanding.

“Here’s to the sisterhood,” Crystal said, smirking, raising an imaginary glass to me.

“To the sisterhood,” I agreed, without smiling, knowing that wherever this led, I would see it through, for her, if not for me.

Crystal smiled, her emerald eyes dancing, then got out of the car, closing the door behind. As I slid out of the car, I felt every ache, bruise, and slash that Roy and inflicted upon my frail body.  I needed to rest, to let all this sink in.

“Why are we here?” I asked, looking around, for we were standing in a clearing and the car was parked on the edge of it. In the center was a fire pit, that looked like had been recently used.

“You’ll see,” Crystal replied as a half smile lit her lips.

I slid to a soft patch of green grass and leaned against a tree.

“Just rest while I prepare,” Crystal replied, clearly enjoying herself.

“Prepare for what?” I asked, watching Crystal throw logs into the fire pit.

“Oh, you’ll see,” she replied with a smirk, then began chanting, “Premedora, um stat, al logue rogue, bauche rae bom fa lor. Premedors, um stat, al logue, bauche rae bom fa lor,” repeating it over and again.

“Crystal, you’re scaring me …”

“Shush, you’re interrupting the ceremony.”

“What ceremony?” I asked, trying to get to my feet.

“You want strength, right? Enough to overpower your enemies?” Crystal asked looking directly at me as her eyes flared.

“Yes, but …”

“Then, shush,” Crystal replied, the half smile returning. “You’re going to get it.”

Premedors, um stat, al logue …” Crystal resumed chanting, throwing more logs into the circle until there was a mound of them, then she removed a lighter from her pocket and threw it onto the pyre.

Instantly, fire sprang to life, licking eagerly at the logs, devouring them, until a blazing bonfire rose to the heavens within minutes. But it wasn’t the heavens we were invoking.

“Come,” Crystal took my hand, helping me to my feet and led me to stand near the fire. “Kneel before the fire, and ask him for your heart’s desire, the power to overcome your enemies.”

“Okay, Crystal, this has gone far enough …”

“No, it hasn’t,” she repeated, taking my hand. Instantly, I felt power radiate from her, and an electric current passed between us, from her into me. “Just ask. I don’t want to lose you. Not like this.”

I nodded, finding sudden strength within her touch. “To the sisterhood, right?” I said, looking into her eyes with a weak smile.

Crystal nodded, smiling. “The sisterhood.”

“Premedora, um stat, al logue rogue, bauche rae bom fa lor …” Crystal resumed chanting, as I fell to my knees.

“Please give me power over my enemies,” I asked into the fire, knowing what I was doing, knowing I would pay for this with my soul. “Please give me power over my enemies,” I repeated over and again.

Crystal chanted and I prayed Satan’s prayer for what seemed like hours, until shoots of pink, red, and purple gently brushed the sky, and the darkness of night overtook the day.

Soon, Crystal fell into a deep sleep, but I continued praying to Satan knowing what I was doing, knowing there would quite literally be hell to pay, but I would pay it later. Crystal was right about one thing, Roy had to be stopped and I was going to do it. Someway, somehow.

Suddenly, the fire flared, reaching toward me, growing suddenly hotter. I was tempted to stop, but knew I had already come too far to stop now. Then the fire instantly grew to double its height, taller than a man, as shoots of red, yellow, and orange rolled outward, surrounding us, but my prayers never ceased.

For a moment, I wondered if I should wake Crystal and get out of there, for fear the fire was growing out of control, when something stopped me. Fear maybe?  Curiosity? An unseen force? And I felt myself suddenly fading from consciousness, when a dark figure stepped from the fire. For a moment, I thought I was dreaming, until he stepped closer to me.

He was huge, probably seven feet tall, with coal black hair and onyx eyes and his chest hinted at well-defined muscles under his black shirt, open, exposing most of his powerful, broad chest. He wore black jeans and black boots, quite modern.

“How did you step from …”

“Shush …” the mysterious man answered, then took me by the hand. As he helped me to my feet, the pain that had permeated my body suddenly left, and replacing it was beauty and sudden strength.

“Who are you?” I asked, my eyes filled with wonder.

“Oh, I think you know,” the mysteriously handsome man answered as one side of his lips curled into a smile. “But the question here is what you want.”

My eyebrows pulled together, bewildered, as wonder filled my eyes.

“Power over your enemies?” He reminded me with a smirk. “That is what you asked for, right?”

I nodded, momentarily speechless.

Then his black onyx eyes flared as he looked directly into my eyes. “Enough power to defeat Roy?”

“How did you know?” I asked, bewildered, but suddenly finding my voice. He circled me and lifted a strand of my long blonde hair to his nostrils, inhaling deeply, reminding me of Roy. “Okay, I’ve had enough …”

Then he placed a hand on either side of my face and looked directly into my eyes with the most beautiful green eyes I’d ever seen. But they were cold, dead, despite their beauty. “Or have you?” then before I could object, his lips crushed down onto mine, enveloping me with the lust and passion I’d never felt before. And under his amazing power, I surrendered, as we shared our power. My power left me and he filled me with his, and for a moment, our souls touched, becoming one in that one passionate kiss. Then he pulled back to look directly into my eyes and gently stroked my hair. “Are you ready?”

“For what?” I asked, smiling, knowing I’d never felt so much passion before in my life.

“For the power to defeat your enemies, of course?” he asked, smirking, cocky, already knowing the answer. “Do you want my help?”

Then I wrapped my arms around his waist and looked directly into his eyes. “Who are you?”

He ran his fingers through my long blonde hair and looked directly into my eyes. “Oh, I think you already know.”

“Satan,” I replied, my eyes never wavering from his.

“In the flesh, so to speak,” he answered gently stroking my hair. “But that’s just one of my names. I also go my Lucifer, but Satan works, too.”

“No,” I said, backing away as he laughed. I ran to Crystal, trying to wake her, but she wouldn’t budge. “What did you do to her?”

“Yeah, about that,” Satan casually said, taking a step toward me. “I couldn’t have her interrupting us if she woke.”

“Is she dead?” I asked, fear filling my eyes.

This tall stranger laughed, sinister, “No, my dear Catherine, or do you prefer Cathy? Anyway, remind me to thank her later.”

I nodded, unable to believe what I was hearing. Maybe Crystal had pulled a prank on me, or maybe this was only a dream.

“You really think this is a dream?” this tall, gorgeous stranger asked, quite literally reading my mind. But I knew his beauty was a ruse. After all, Satan could appear in any form he chose. “And do you think that Crystal could pull off a hoax this elaborate?”

“How do you know what I’m thinking?” I asked, backing away from him, toward the car.

“How do you think?” he asked quickly catching my arm and led me back to the fire. Suddenly, all fear left me, but was replaced by a cold sinister feeling. Then he stroked my hair again brushing a strand away from my face. “I’m Satan. Now, do you want my help or not?”

And I knew at that moment I had a choice. Free will. Even Satan could not take away my free will. That moment was the turning point. I knew I could just walk away and it would be over, but the thought of going back to Roy was literally scarier than facing Satan. “Yes,” I nodded. “I don’t want to live this way anymore. I want to be free of Roy.”

Then he threw back his head and laughed a sinister chortle, then looked deeply into my eyes again. “You know, I could take care of him for you. In fact, he chose the path to me long ago. It’s just a matter of time before I bring him home to be with me. But it would be much more fun to let you do it. To let you take care of him.” Then before I could stop him his lips crushed down onto mine, filling my heart with terror and passion, the most dangerous combination I’d ever felt. “And if you play your cards right, maybe I’ll take you as my bride.”

“As your bride?” I asked, unable to believe my ears.

Then he smirked. “At least, for a while.”

“I want your help, not your body,” I replied, but could not help but notice how muscular and powerful his body felt beneath my touch.

Satan laughed. “You might change your mind, my dear. I could convince you, but later. First, let us deal with the task at hand.”

I smiled, enjoying this dangerous exchange in spite of myself.

“What say you, Catherine?” he asked, looking into my eyes. “Do you want power? Enough to defeat your enemies?”

And I knew I was playing with fire, but I was already in too deep. “Yes, I nodded. I want to take him down.”

“Then kneel before me and swear your allegiance to me,” Satan instructed, taking my hand and raising it to his lips. And despite his gentleness now, I was well aware that he could be just as ruthless, but I couldn’t stop myself.

I fell to my knees, swearing my allegiance to him, to Satan, before I had time to think about the consequences, before the thought of Heaven and Hell could wrestle with each other within my mind. Suddenly, Satan placed the palm of his hands onto the crown of my head.

My body quivered and shook, changing, but a power like I had never felt before filled my soul and my body with strength, but also with something else that I couldn’t explain. My body and soul quivered, shaking, but I stood firmly on my knees, until Satan removed his hands, then reached out a hand and helped me to my feet.

“Feel better, my dear?” he asked me with a smirk, looking into my eyes. I nodded, but then he added, “You know it comes with a price. I rarely give away gifts such as these for free.”

“I kind of figured that,” I replied, getting to my feet, feeling stronger than ever before. “So, what’s your price?”

Satan laughed, then pulled me into his arms. “Don’t worry. I’ll collect at a later time.” Then his lips crushed down onto mine once more, but this time, I didn’t resist, as my lips moved with his in familiar ways. And as I surrendered to him, it was unlike anything I’d ever known before. Then he pulled back and gave me one last sweet kiss and replied, “Well, I must go. Be careful with your power and who you unleash it upon.”

I laughed, knowing that now I had enough strength to finally leave Roy. And at that moment, I swore I’d never let any man to do me what Roy had been doing to me for years. And a moment later, Satan walked into the flames, letting them engulf him, as he smiled.

As I watched him go, I felt a strength well up within me, a strength I’d never felt before. I looked down at my hands and they were beautiful, sleek; the skin, smooth. I felt my hair and it was thicker, more lustrous than ever before. I felt beautiful, powerful, a force to be reckoned with. The hurt that Roy had inflicted upon me was gone, but I knew there would be a price to this power and beauty. And I knew one day Satan would come to collect.

“Crystal,” I bent down and shook my best friend’s shoulder. “Crystal, let’s go.” I looked around and the flames of the bonfire were already dying, but I snuffed the rest out anyway, so as not to set the forest on fire. “Crystal, it’s over. Let’s go.”

For a moment, my heart sank as I feared the price I’d just paid was Crystal’s life, but a moment later, she stirred, then slowly opened her eyes.

“Crystal? Are you okay?” I asked, fishing around in her pockets for the car keys.

“Cathy? Is that you?” Crystal asked, looking deeply into my eyes. And from the look in her eyes, I knew I must have looked just as different as I felt.

“Yeah, it’s me,” I replied, helping her to her feet. “Let’s go.”

Crystal weaved a bit on her feet, groggy, as if she had been drugged. “Was he here? Did it work?”

“Oh, yeah,” I answered, then added, holding her up under one arm, something I’d never been able to do before. “I’ll tell you about it on the way.”

She nodded, then let me help her to the car. “I feel like I’ve been drugged,” Crystal replied, as I helped her into the passenger seat.

“No, I think it was something much worse,” I replied, starting her car. “I’ll drive you home.”

“Boy, the roles have been reversed a bit here,” Crystal replied, looking into my eyes. “You really have changed. You’re more beautiful than before, stronger, but there’s something else, too.” Then her eyebrows pulled together, concerned as she looked into my eyes. “What did he do to you?”

“Oh, I think you already know,” I replied, as my eyes flared, using the same words Satan had used on me.

“What have I done?” Crystal asked, her eyes wide as sudden fear permeated her voice.

“Nothing,” I replied, surprised at her sudden change of heart. “By the way, he said he wanted to thank you for bringing me to him.”

“Oh, my God, Cathy!” Crystal yelled, shocked.

“No, not God, Crystal,” I said, then looked into her eyes. “But you already know who.” And as I pulled onto the street headed toward her house, I reminded her, “I’m still the same Cathy. That will never change.”

“Oh, I think a lot more has changed than you realize …”

“I feel good, Crystal,” I replied, pulling into the driveway beside her two-story house. “What? Have you changed you mind?”

“I … I …”

I laughed. “It’s too late for that, but don’t worry,” I replied, looking into her eyes as I turned off the key. “I’ll never turn on you. The sisterhood, remember?”

Crystal smiled a weak smile, then repeated, “The sisterhood.”  Then her eyebrows pulled together, concerned, as she added, “Just be careful, Cathy.”

I laughed, throwing back my head. “I’m fine, Crystal! In fact I’ve never felt better! Thank you!” Then I handed her the keys, got out of the car, shut the door, and leaned into the window.

“What have I done to you, Cathy?” Crystal asked, bewildered.

“What needed to be done,” I replied, then added. “It was my choice, Crystal. Free will, right?”

And before she could answer, I turned on my heels and ran into the woods. And as I ran, I was stronger than before, faster. Then I poured on the speed, testing it out and darted quickly between the trees until they became a blur, and the wind blew my hair behind me as I flew through the forest.

Then I remembered Roy.

I knew if I didn’t tell him to leave me alone forever, he would go after Crystal and someone would die. I didn’t want it to be her.

As I ran, I noticed the dim light of the moon, promising to make its appearance upon the night. And suddenly I felt different, but not in a way I could explain as sweat beaded upon my forehead and my arms. Through the woods, I neared the trailer park where I knew Roy would be waiting. I slowed , then stepped from the safety of the woods, and walked purposefully toward the trailer, but suddenly, something grabbed my arm and swung me around.

“Where have you been?” Roy demanded, his eyes flaring as his teeth ground together, seething, looking into my eyes. His eyes suddenly flared. “What the hell?”

“Yes, hell is right,” I calmly replied, as one side of my lips curled into a smile. I took him in, looking him up and down, wondering how I would ever be afraid of him and how I could have wasted my life on him.  

Roy quickly recovered himself, grabbed my hand, and drug me into the woods. But this time, I didn’t scream for help, I didn’t resist. After all, I needed a bit of privacy.

In the safety of the woods, I let him wheel me around to look into my eyes. “I said, where have you been?” then he slapped me hard across the face, but this time, I didn’t budge. I enjoyed watching the horror within his eyes. Yes, I knew I would enjoy this very much.

“I’ve been with Crystal,” I replied, smiling a half smile, contemplating how much pain I would inflict upon him. Then I looked up, and the moon was almost full.

“The witch?” Roy asked, looking into my eyes with fury. “Didn’t I tell you never to see her again?”

I casually flung my long blonde hair over my shoulder. “She’s my best friend, Roy.” Then I took a step closer for emphasis, looking directly into his eyes. “And you don’t get to tell me what to do anymore.”

“Since when did you grow a set of balls?” Roy asked me, incredulous, looking me up and down.

“Since I met the devil in the flesh,” I answered with a smile, then stroked the side of his hair. “And guess what?” I asked as I leaned closer to whisper into his ear. “He’s a better kisser than you.”

That’s when Roy wheeled around and punched me in the stomach, but it didn’t move me. I enjoyed the look within his eyes as he shook his hand from the blow. Then the bright light of the moon illuminated the woods, allowing me to see Roy with extreme clarity. Yes, I was going to enjoy this very much.

Suddenly, I wretched in pain as my body shook and contorted, bending over from the pain, bringing me to my knees. What the hell? I asked, but then realized that was exactly what it was. From hell.

“What’s this?” Roy asked, clearly enjoying my pain as he stood over me with a smirk. “Delayed reaction?” then he walked closer to me, knowing he had me, when suddenly my muscles contorted again in pain, and terror filled my heart. “And don’t ever think of asking me for a divorce, Cathy, because I’ll never give you one.”

In the bright moonlight, I looked up, and the moon was full.

My body contorted and wretched, then I suddenly noticed my hands, now covered in black fur. “What the hell?” I asked, almost to myself.

“What the hell is right,” Roy replied, taking another step closer.

Roy didn’t notice that I was suddenly on my hands and knees, wrenching, feeling my body contort. Black fur grew over my body, and fangs grew from between my teeth stretching to my chin. But I could no longer cry out in a human voice as a guttural growl erupted from my chest through my lips, and my legs contorted into an animalistic shape, like that of a wolf, but I still had human hands now covered in black fur. As I crouched in the dark shadows contorting, Roy didn’t seem to notice.

“I came home tonight and saw that a lot of your clothes were gone,” Roy yelled, unable to see the metamorphosis now consuming my body. “I’ll never let you go, bitch! So don’t ever try to leave me again!” then he kicked me in the side, as I quickly moved out of the way, faster than the eye could see.

I stood from my crouching position onto two legs. Black fur covered my body, including my human hands and a guttural growl erupted from my chest as I took a step toward him.

Roy suddenly fell backward, his eyes wide, unable to believe what he was seeing. “What the hell?” he asked as I took another purposeful step toward him.

And as I looked into his eyes, I wondered what was happening to me? What I was becoming? But then I remembered, having heard the stories from my ancestors.

The Ute, local American Indians, called them the wahyapatwin, or wolf man. The Children of the Moon. The stories said the wahyapatwin attacked the local townspeople, tearing apart their bodies, leaving no survivors. Now I was one of them. And I knew that if I didn’t kill him now, he would become like me with just one bite.

No! What have I done? I cried out within my mind, but what Roy heard was a long eerie howl. Then I turned my blood- red eyes to look at him, as saliva dripped from the primitive fangs protruding past my chin. I took a purposeful step toward him, seething for the kill.

“No! I don’t believe it! What happened to you?” Roy asked with wide eyes as he backed away, then fell to the ground on his back, crawling backward, scooting long the ground, but he never took his eyes from mine.  

A guttural, animalistic growl erupted from within my chest as I stepped closer.

“No! No, don’t!” Roy screamed as I stepped closer still, so close that saliva dripped from my primitive fangs onto his white shirt as I stood over his body.

Yes, I was going to enjoy this, I thought, as I grabbed his shoulder with tremendous strength and drug him into the woods so no one could hear his screams. Within the safety of the woods, I ripped his limbs from his body and tore his heart from his chest, taking my time, enjoying his screams, under the light of the full moon.

                                                                                                   ***

That was five years ago and to this day, no one ever found his body. After a while, they declared him a missing person, but I assure you, his is one body that will never be found. I got my man, but at what price? For with every full moon, I have to lock myself behind closed doors for fear of terrorizing and murdering the town and everyone in it. But I’ve kept my word to myself: no man would ever again do to me what Roy had done. I’ve also remained young and more beautiful than ever before despite my impending age. Crystal and I still have the bond of the sisterhood, but I know that Satan is coming for us both. Satan cursed me, but in his eyes, he did me a favor, and I knew that one day he would collect. And I wondered who would deliver us from evil on that day, when it comes? 

No comments:

Post a Comment